The SkySQL Reference Architecture
I have a bunch of notes from the O’Reilly MySQL Conference & Expo 2011, and I figure its about time I started blogging it. These are notes from the panel on the SkySQL Reference Architecture, led by Kaj Arno and Ivan Zoratti. The notes are raw (read their FAQ for more), and I talk a little bit about the SkySQL Configurator at the end (a tool I immediately used, and submitted some bugs/improvements for – 7 at last count, which I hear got fixed in the 0.02 release, which got pushed last night!).
There were 7 panelists. The MySQL world needs:
- technical support
- monitoring & administration tools
- simplified interfaces
- development & user tools
- consulting & training
- select and test specific components
- integrate components
- provision the components in a simple interface
- simplify monitoring & administration
- technical services & support
- validate solutions
- improvements and new releases can be done
- knowledge sharing related to the reference architecture
SkySQL Provisioning tools:
- SkySQL Manager – control and administer the SkySQL/MySQL environment
- SkySQL Configurator – configure and update SkySQL reference architecture modules
- SkySQL Tuner – analyse the configuration and prepare the packages
I did a test, and it seemed like I got binaries built in under 5 minutes. Custom configurations with a stock build. You get a 70MB binary. Hosted at http://www.enovance.com/. A lot of people never configure their my.cnf, so I think having a GUI on the web might be a good idea to help people have sensible defaults.
lovegood:skysql byte$ ls total 143352 drwxr-xr-x 3 byte staff 102 14 Apr 06:13 ./ drwx------@ 598 byte staff 20332 14 Apr 06:13 ../ -rw-r--r--@ 1 byte staff 73395132 14 Apr 06:12 SkySQL-mariadb-poboffcfrm5bi054559q8iea74.tar.gz lovegood:skysql byte$ tar -zxvpf SkySQL-mariadb-poboffcfrm5bi054559q8iea74.tar.gz x etc/ x etc/my.cnf x install x packages/ x packages/xtrabackup-1.4-74.rhel5.x86_64.rpm x packages/MySQL-client-5.5.10-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm x packages/MySQL-server-5.5.10-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
SkySQL is also going to have a customer advisory board, and they are starting it this week. (I don’t know any further details about this as of yet.)
The SkySQL Configurator can only get better. I expect it will do custom packages including things like Sphinx/SphinxSE, Drizzle, and other things in due time.